Sunday, March 27, 2011

Intoducing Grover


Meet Grover.  Grover is a the newest addition to my kitchen.  I have watched him grow up.  Above is a picture of him taken when he was just about 5 days old.  Take a look him now. 


He has outgrown his first home and is nice and bubbly.

I decided that I would begin a new starter.  This one only contains 2 ingredients, water and flour.  I followed the advice from here. I followed it exactly up until day 9.  For those that want the short version, basically all I did was was start with about ounce of water and and an ounce of flour and stirred them together.  Everyday since I repeated the process and stirred the jar a few times a day.  Since my apartment is never above 60 degrees, my starter was slow to develop, so Grover had not developed enough to harvest, but now he is ready.  I have continued to feed it one ounce of water and one ounce of flour everyday.  Grover is read for action.  As soon as I use him, I will report the results.  I am excited to try him because I will not use any yeast at all.  With my other starter, I not only used yeast in the starter, but I also added more to the bread recipe.  Not next time.  Grover will do all the work.  Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. He didn't. Just different lighting. I am not a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for clearing that up. (No pun intended)

    ReplyDelete