Friday, August 5, 2011

Grilled Pepperonni Pizza with Thick Pizza Sauce


I put Grover to work again.  He sure is good at making pizza dough.  The focus of this post is the pizza sauce.  Here are the cast of characters (first in picture form).











I made a lot. I used what I needed for the pizzas and froze the rest for later consumption.

Ingredients (Note: I have no idea how much of the spices I used.  I just dump what I think is right amount in.):
  • Two 29oz can's of tomato sauce
  • Two 8oz can's of tomato paste
  • 2 tbls sugar
  • 2 tbls extra virgin olive oil
  • 6 cloves of chopped garlic
  • oregeno
  • basil
  • ground thyme
  • marjoram
  • red pepper flakes
  • 2 bay leafs
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Heat oil over medium heat.  Add in garlic and cook for about a minute, stirring constantly.  Don't burn the garlic.  Add in all the spices and cook for about 30 seconds.  This helps bring out the flavor in the spices.  Add in tomato products and simmer on low for about an hour stirring every five minutes or so.  That's it.  This is a thick zesty sauce.  Try it out and see what you think, or come over and I will make you some (yes, I am serious).

By the way, the crust was awesome grilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment